a. CMF guidance. Due to the uniqueness of this MOS it is not currently associated with any CMF.
b. Major duties. Conducts interpretation (oral) and prepares translations (written) between English and a foreign language. Support by assisting in unit foreign language and cultural awareness familiarization. The duties at each skill level for MOS 09L are:
(1) MOSC 09L1O. Perform low- and mid-level interpretation. Conducts sight translations of foreign language material into English. Briefs supported element on interpreter/translator utilization. Support by assisting in language and cultural awareness familiarization. Verifies low-level interpretation.
(2) MOSC 09L2O. Performs duties as shown in preceding skill level and provides guidance to subordinate Soldiers. Supervises the maintenance and development of English and foreign language skills, as well as MOS skills. Prepare written translations from a foreign language (ILR level 1+) to English. Provides and conducts language familiarization and cultural awareness training. Verifies mid-level interpretation.
(3) MOSC 09L3O. Performs duties as shown in preceding skill levels and provides guidance to subordinate Soldiers. Require a minimum foreign language reading proficiency rating of R2, as measured by the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) or an alternate reading proficiency test validated by the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC). Verifies documents and performs translations. Performs duties as high level escort as interpreter and translator. Soldier requires a SECRET security eligibility.
(4) MOSC 09L4O. Performs duties as shown in preceding skill levels and provides guidance to subordinate Soldiers. Supervises the maintenance and development of English and foreign language skills, as well as MOS skills. Soldier requires a SECRET security eligibility.
(5) MOSC 09L5O. Performs duties as shown in preceding skill levels and provides guidance to subordinate Soldiers. Provide advisory support in utilization of linguist assets.
c. Physical demands rating and qualifications for initial award of MOS. Interpreter/Translator must possess the following qualifications.
(1) A physical demands rating of medium.
(2) A physical profile of 222221.
(3) Must pass one of the three authorized color vision tests administered by an Optometrist: the Pseudo-Isochromatic Plates test, the Farnsworth Lantern test, or the OPTEC 900 Color Vision test.
(4) Must receive a favorable National Agency Check and Local Agency Check (NACLAC) and credit check.
(5) Must receive a favorable counterintelligence screening prior to attending Basic Combat Training (BCT).
(6) A high school graduate or equivalent. Post-secondary language study or the equivalent such as extended foreign residence or exposure to the target language.
(7) Demonstrates clear enunciation and comprehension of English. Applicants who are not native-born citizens or who have not attended U.S. schools since the age of 6 must obtain a minimum score of 80 on the English Comprehension Level Test (ECLT) or American Language Comprehension Placement Test (ALCPT).
(8) Must achieve an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) rating of 2 or better in English. Test will be administered by U.S. Military Entrance Processing Command (USMEPCOM) in coordination with the Defense Language Institute English Language Center (DLIELC) prior to enlistment.
(9) If English language skills are insufficient, as measured by a score of 50 to 79 on the ECLT/ALCPT or a rating of less than 2 on the English OPI, personnel must receive English language training under auspices of DLIELC prior to BCT. A score below 50 on the ECLT/ALCPT shall not be waived for enrollment at DLIELC. Must achieve an OPI rating of 2 or better in English, as well as a score of 80 or higher on the ECLT in order to graduate from DLIELC and qualify for MOS 09L.
(10) Must have an OPI rating of at least S2+ and pass a reading proficiency evaluation with a minimum rating of R1 in a documented and required foreign language. Both tests will be administered by USMEPCOM in coordination with DLIFLC prior to enlistment into MOS 09L.
(11) Applicants other than IRR direct entry (see below for IRR criteria) must score 10 or higher on the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT) to be eligible for enlistment.
(12) IRR applicants may enter DLIELC with an AFQT score less than 10 if they have ECLT/ALCPT scores 50-79. The requirement to score a 10 or higher on the AFQT will not be waived for any applicant who scores 80 or above on the ECLT/ALCPT. If an IRR applicant enters DLIELC and subsequently achieves a score of 80 on the ECLT but still has not achieved a 10 on the AFQT, he/she will attend up to 8 weeks of Basic Skills Enhancement Program (BSEP) classes at Ft Jackson, SC. Recruits may not enter Basic Combat Training unless they achieve a score of 10 or better on the Armed Forces Classification Test (AFCT).
As of 2008 August 10
(13) No Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB) is required; language acquisition training is not authorized for this MOS.
(14) No record of conviction by court-martial.
(15) Must be a permanent U.S. resident or U.S. citizen.
(16) Skill level 3 and above requires SECRET security eligibility under AR 380-67 to maintain qualification in the MOS.
(17) Formal training (completion of MOS 09L course at Ft Jackson under the auspices of USAIC&FH, Ft Huachuca, AZ) mandatory.
(18) MOS closed for reclassification to Soldiers who have been deemed permanently nondeployable in accordance with AR 614-30, AR 40-501, AR 220-1 and AR 600-8-101. Soldiers must meet the minimum criteria for retainability stated in AR 600-60, paragraph 4-2(b) and be fully deployable to all locations and echelons.
d. Additional skill identifiers. (Note: Refer to table 12-8 (Listing of universal ASI’s associated with all enlisted MOS)).
e. Physical requirements and standards of grade. Physical requirements and SG relating to each skill level are listed in the following tables:
(1) Table 10-09L-1. Physical requirements.
(2) Table 10-09L-2. Standards of grade TOE/MTOE.
(3) Table 10-09L-3. Standards of grade TDA.