“APPLICATION FOR IDENTIFICATION CARD/DEERS ENROLLMENT”
The DD Form 1172-2 shall be used to apply for issuance of a DD Form 2 (Reserve, Retired, and Reserve Retired), a DD Form 1173, a DD Form 1173-1, a DD Form 2764, a DD Form 2765, and a Common Access Card (CAC) for eligible individuals who are not enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). The DD Form 1172-2 shall also be used to enroll eligible individuals in DEERS or to update an eligible individual’s DEERS record. Retention and disposition of the DD Form 1172-2 shall be in accordance with uniformed services’ regulatory instructions.
- DoD sponsors enrolling their dependents in DEERS should complete Sections I, II, and IV.
- DoD sponsors updating their own status or adding a personnel condition impacting benefits (e.g., overseas assignment) should complete Sections I and II.
- Eligible employees applying for a CAC should complete Sections I and II (and Section IV if a Foreign Affiliate on orders to the U.S. with authorized dependents). The DD Form 1172-2 should then be provided to a DoD sponsor for authorization and completion of Section III.
- DoD personnel sponsoring an eligible individual for a CAC should complete Section III.
- For certain populations, a paper form will not be required (e.g., populations entered into RAPIDS via the Trusted Associate Sponsorship System (TASS)).
- A DD Form 577 (signature card) must be on file at the issuing site for CAC applicants using the DD Form 1172-2 for enrollment.